Sunday, November 16, 2008

23 things over and out!

YaY! Finished before the deadline. What an achievement.

To help with work the concept of writing a blog helped. Photo sharing could be useful for both work and home. RSS feeds have helped with current awareness. Face book has helped with social and work networks.

The library could use lots of these technologies for a better service. We could set up a library blog...but who would read it? We could set up a library flickr...as long as the pictures were authorized and agreed to by those in the pictures. We could have Google maps on the library web page for location. That could be interesting. We could share our delicious links, but just get more overwhelmed with information. We could create our own YouTube videos. Could be helpful with remote presentation and/or for 24/7 demos of how to do things at point of need.

23 things could be improved by allowing more parameters for participants. For example one person who tried to put a full effort into it, got frustrated, and didn't get into it. Another who because of work time restraints and lack of enthusiasm has not participated. It is a hard call and there are so many of us at various points but it might have been good to run more group sessions earlier on maybe. For those of us in the outer campuses it has been harder to get the peer support that has occurred in some of the larger campuses I believe.

I think I will keep blogging. I started out thinking that I was meant to use it as a traditional blog and started telling my RTW (Return To Work) story but quickly got waylaid to just finish the 23 things and not think about myself. It was good therapy to start off with :-) I will continue to use many of the tools and toys learnt through this process. On Face Book I now have a communication tool with some of my relatives and friends that I did not have before. I have also connected with some friends from my deep dark past! I will want a permanent record of some of the instructions, as some were just dashed through to finish the 23 things without much thought of how to go back and actually do them with knowledge and/or how I might be able to instruct someone else to do it.

The 23 things team deserve full marks for a job well done! It has certainly been an excellent talking point around the library traps to ask how you are going, and what you have been learning as well as an excellent learning exercise.

No comments: